Thursday, November 29, 2007

Sticky door handles and Sour Dispositions

What is it about having kids that makes you immune to certain things, that before having children, might have mortified you? With my big family, I often compare our home to a frat house, With that in mind, there are a few pitfalls of parenting that I would like to share with anyone who will care to listen. Prepare yourself, this is not for the faint of heart. You've been warned. Mothering is not as glamorous as I make it look.

Why does every door handle in the house suddenly have it's own texture when children appear? I don't know what it is, but they seem to have a magnetic power to anything sticky, or crust filled. I don't know about you, but the thought of a door knob that was easy to grab, but hard to let go of, would have made me toss my cookies before I had children.

Yesterday, I hung out with one of my very best friends, and her daughter brought me a present. She handed me a booger. And if you know me at all, you know that this is my very worst fear. I really handled myself well, and actually laughed. It wasn't nearly as gross as it sounds. (okay, yes it was, but I didn't fall on the floor into the fetal position.)

I'm sorry to say this as well, but I can pretty much change a diaper in about 15 seconds, and I don't really freak out if some diaper contents get on me. I'm not saying I enjoy it, but you know it happens, and I can deal with it. (Actually, i'd prefer that over boogers, but I digress...)

And it's not just gross stuff like that, after you've had three children pounding on the table shouting "bring us our food, bring us our food", yelling doesn't bother me as much either. I can ignore a tantrum induced screaming fit up to about a 2 inch range.

But, with all the new trials and booger laden objects that I deal with in my life, I have to say, I would much rather live in my frat house, than in any other house in the world.

2 comments:

Gabe and Monica said...

hahahah Lilly made the blog....I feel like I should be so proud...unfortunatly she's the kid who brought you the booger....soooo I'm not sure if pride is the right word to use here!!!

you are so awesome...I so appriciate your authenticity, candidness, and humor about life...it makes me feel normal!!! Love you lady!

aunt kiki said...

i laughed so hard at this entry. You're really making me feel so secure about having kids. I guess I just have to toughen my stomach up a bit. Is there anything that gets to you any more, lol?

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Crazy Beautiful Life

Crazy Beautiful Life

I see you!

People who love me

Bill of Rights

some of my favorite music. have a listen


Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter