Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Band Geek

Last night, I went to the Dallas Wind Symphony with one of my best friends, Holly. After my experience, I've got to tell you, the musician in me was screaming to be let out.

Although it's been ten years since I've been a member of any musical group where I've performed, I realized that I'm not used to being in the audience watching while other musicians perform for me. It was a different experience, and while at first I focused a lot on watching the musicians do what I used to do. i.e. (blow air through my horn in the few bars before I come in, subtle goof offs during the rests, horn swaying when something awesome happens in the music). Yes, I'm a band geek. I love sitting in the middle of the music. It really does sound different when you're in the middle rather than sitting in the audience. You feel the rhythm with all the other musicians and you become one giant musical machine. And all the sounds around you are so rich and they fill you up. It's hard to explain, but there is nothing, absolutely nothing, like it.
I did eventually relax and just enjoy the beauty of the music and appreciate the talent of those performing.
I don't think I'll ever get back to being able to join a group like that again, maybe when the children are older, we'll see. But for now, reliving my memories is almost enough.

If you've never gone to see this group perform, I highly reccomend it. It was also a (rare) great mid-week outing for me. Thanks Holly!

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Crazy Beautiful Life

Crazy Beautiful Life

I see you!

People who love me

Bill of Rights

some of my favorite music. have a listen


Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter